The Society for Practising Veterinary Surgeons (SPVS Ltd) can trace its origins back to 1933, when the Veterinary Practitioners’ League was formed, later becoming the first specialist division of what was then the National Veterinary Medical Association (now the BVA). It championed the interests of practitioners, helping to secure their involvement in the emerging State Veterinary Service as Local Veterinary Inspectors (LVIs). In spite of its name, it attracted membership from across the profession including research workers, officers of local and other authorities, and several professors.
Over the next 20 years it began to focus on the effective running of veterinary enterprises, with a 1957 report concluding that it should be on sound business and ethical lines. SPVS, as it was then, sought to lead by example and that remains the focus today.